56 Marine Rd West
The Alhambra buildings was opened in 1901, in a prominent position at the top of Regent Road in the West End of Morecambe.The Architect was Herbert Howarth. It had a music hall, located on the first floor of the building.
Other parts of the building contained a market at ground floor level, shops, offices and a restaurant. The proscenium was 29 feet wide, the stage 30 feet deep and there were 14 dressing rooms.
From 1909, films began to be screened, and in 1910, it was granted a Cinematograph Licence. Films were initially screened only in the winter months.
It was equipped with a sound system in the late 1920’s, and was renamed as the Astoria Super Cinema. It now had a mix of films and variety shows.
The Astoria Super Cinema was closed in September 1939 when World War II began, but unlike other cinemas, it did not re-open within weeks and remained closed until the end of the war in 1945.
It reopened in 1946 and was used for live shows with many famous faces of the day performing there.
The Alhambra Palace Theatre was used extensively as a location for the filming in 1960, of “The Entertainer” starring Lawrence Olivier.
In June 1970, the building was devastated by a fire that broke out in the projection box.
The roof was repaired although the top of the building lost its distinctive look.
The building reopened and has hosted a number of nightclubs over the years. Known as both ‘The Inn on the Bay’ and ‘the Carleton’, it was a very popular destination during the 1980’s and 1990’s for student nights out and hosted many events but it closed in 2015 and the whole building was sold to be turned into flats.
However, like a phoenix from the ashes, thanks to the new owner, the building is once more coming back into use as a live venue and theatre